Monday, July 2, 2012

Book Bash, Writing Underway and Blueberry Coffee Cake


This past weekend's planned writing binge and sailing adventure was briefly interrupted by Saturday morning's South Berwick Summer Book Bash, held in the town's stunning new library where I was scheduled to do a "read & sign." I finally reached "Skater (the boat) about 2:00, loaded down with groceries and Reese's Leap notes; and Captain Cleave and I blasted off for Cape Porpoise, Maine (near the Bush compound in Kennebunkport)a four- hour sail that allowed me to hunker down in writerly fashion while my erstwhile Captain ably handled all things nautical.

That night, the Captain plied me with wine and dinner in the cockpit under an incredible sunset. Sunday morning I reciprocated with the famous Skater Blueberry Coffee Cake (recipe follows), before we blasted off for the return sail to our Kittery mooring.

In addition to my editing work, I also managed some time to finish Gillian Flynn's new novel, Gone Girla delightfully twisted tale of an increasingly poisonous and volatile marriage. Kept me on the edge of my seat, or rather the edge of my bunk. Can't recommend it highly enough!

Next time I'll post a more detailed editing progress report, as well as a review of Tahlia Newland's new YA novel about bullying, You Can't Shatter Me.

The Skater Blueberry Coffee Cake

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

1 cup flour
¾ cup sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
¼ cup softened butter/margarine
1 egg
½ cup milk
1 cup blueberries
Topping: ½ cup sugar mixed with 1 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon

Mix flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Add the butter/margarine and mix well. Add the egg and milk and beat till smooth. Pour into a greased 9 X 9 pan. Cover with the blueberries and top the whole thing with the sugar/ cinnamon mixture. 

Bake for 35 - 40 minutes.

 


No comments:

Post a Comment